The Kirklees Mental Health Carers Forum is set up by carers, run by carers, for carers. All carers in Kirklees are welcome to join these meetings.
The aims and objectives of this group are:
- To be a collective voice for carers
- To allow carers to share their views, concerns and experiences in a safe and friendly environment
- To act as a Carers Expert Group on proposed changes to Kirklees Mental Health Services including dementia services
- To provide an opportunity for carers to hear about changes to existing services, from the professionals who are planning and making the changes
- To provide an opportunity for carers to discuss issues and changes with staff
- An opportunity to hear about and discuss new developments and plans, and to have a positive impact on what is proposed
- To provide an opportunity for carers to set the agenda
What the forum has achieved so far:
Since the forum was established, many senior directors and managers have attended to speak at forum meetings. This gives carers a great opportunity to find out what the Trust (SWYPFT), Kirklees Council and Social Services are planning and to have an input into reshaping services. The forum gives you the chance to ask questions, meet fellow carers, gain their support and have some fun at the same time, in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
Departments which have accepted our feedback from a carer’s perspective and made changes to planned transformations within the Trust include:
- Adult Community Services Transformation
- Older Peoples Services Transformation
- Rehab and Recovery Transformation
- Single Point of Access
Forum members have been invited to follow up sessions to ensure that their points are implemented.